Monday, September 6, 2010

I love me some hiking!

This morning I got the privilege (I'm not joking) of waking up before 5am to get ready to go hiking.  I love hiking tons, but I haven't had the chance to go on a good hike since Kenny and I got married. My Father-in-law was awesome and invited me to come along with him and his uncle and my brother-in-law.

Such an awesome day! We had just started out on the trail and it started snowing! ...the only (only!) problem with this is that I had dressed expecting this hike to go like all other hikes - start out the hike with the weather a bit chilly then shed the layers as you continue on. Not so today, it started out clear and beautiful (although morning chilly) and just got colder, windier, and foggier.

Despite the unforeseen weather and the lack of appropriate clothing - it was a gorgeous climb to the top of the Roman Nose Summit.  




I had (I think) a minor low blood sugar at the bottom of the hill before we even started the actual climb and by the top of the hill (a 3 hour climb to a 7200 elevation peak - freakin awesome) I was so pleasantly pleased to see this number on my meter:


119 is not bad at all for such a strenuous hike! When I had the low I realized I forgot to mess with my pumps basal rates before starting the climb, so I decreased them by 60% and did fantastically the rest of the day. After just a sandwich at the peak I ended the fun at 181mg/dl  - I'll take it. Not a bad day at all considering it's been years since I've done this sort of thing and wasn't sure how much food I might need to make it through - I definitely had a stash with me.

I hope I can go hiking more - also hopefully with Kenny and later in her sweet life with Rylee too. We were considering taking Rylee today - I'm so glad I didn't! It was an awesome hike - but it would have been pretty much impossible with her.

Well, I'm exhausted so I'm gonna call it a night. Maybe more pictures another time. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment